Tuesday 23 June 2009

Juice Feasting in China

China can be a toxic place, with MSG, oil, salt and sugar rampant in most dishes. So for the next 5 days I will consume nothing but juiced fruit and veggies.

Aptly named 'juice feasting' this will be a small attempt to counter-act China toxins and flush out some of the nasties that have built up in my system. The original juice feast idea came from an American guy who studied nutrition and then developed the detox programme. Steve Pavlina tried the juice feast and blogged about it, but he didn't make it to the recommended 92 days. I won't be feasting anywhere near that long, my goal is 5 days. I want to see if I have enough self-discipline to spend a large portion of each day blitzing fruits and cleaning the blender (arrgh! I hate doing that...)

According to the internet, juice feasting can do a lot for you, from increasing energy levels to reversing a number of serious diseases. After reading the blogs, I immediately went out and bought three large plastic bottles (you need to drink at least a gallon of juice every day). Then I visited my usual fruit and veg sellers and came away with an extraordinary amount of stuff. The fruit lady asked me why I needed so much fruit, so I translated the concept of juice feasting to her in Chinese. Hauling the produce home, I put the blender into action and made the following juices:

#1: Veg Juice. Carrot, celery, tomato, ginger and garlic.
#2: Fruit Juice Type One. Watermelon, ginger, mango, kiwi.
#3: Fruit Juice Type Two. Mango, banana, kiwi, apple, orange.

The original plan was to kick off the feast tomorrow morning, but I gave into juice temptation and finished off the whole bottle of #3. Today doesn't count because I already ate some of the IKEA cheese and the jam biscuits that were languishing in the fridge. I'll give the rest of those to Carol, she'll be pleased ;-)

My juice adventure starts tomorrow with #2 for breakfast. I'll let you know how it goes over the next 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment